It continually amazes me to see the kind of creativity that comes out of American movies and TV. As I finally watched Sucker Punch this week, this was more evident than ever.
There is so much creativity in the telling of this story. When I compare that against the real run of the mill rubbish we see in bollywood or on Indian tv…I quite literally, have no words.
I think that, in the Bollywood paradigm:
- a movie like Sucker Punch wouldn’t have been conceptualized
- if we assume for a second that it could have been, no one would have been ready to fund it
- if it had been funded, not one ‘mainstream’ish actor would have found the script worthy enough (and)
- if one had, they probably couldn’t actually have pulled it off
- very few people would have gone to watch it
- some politician would have opposed the way young girls were portrayed, and possibly, banned it
- All in all, it would have been a big enough mess to deter anyone from even voicing the idea
On 100% of current Indian television, we still haven’t gotten past the ‘oh-my-god my mother-in-law is insane’ storyline.
It’s sad really.